Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Why are you becoming a nurse?


Years ago, I was one of those cats you would see journaling in one of the trendy new coffee shops called "Starbucks;" I think there were five in Denver back then. I remember sitting for hours, looking out at the snow falling, trying to figure out why I was being drawn to make a decision I was about to make, or why someone pissed me off.

It must be that journaling is akin to the reflective listening we have been learning; it is just that we are reflecting ourselves to ourselves. In my wanderlust days, for instance, I would feel irresistibly compelled to leave town, not knowing why. In retrospect, journaling helped me bring a logic and reason to those impulses.

Blogging is the new journaling. Not only do I have a storage medium for my musings, but I am forced to be clear – I have a potential audience (and I do mean potential, sometimes I think only my mother and sisters read this stuff!)

I became a nursing student for what seems like a multitude of reasons, but as I have yet to blog-journal about it, I am uncertain which of those reasons is the ‘root’ reason. I think I would like to do that soon, here, and I invite you to do the same. Many of us got into nursing for the money, some out of a need to serve. Do you really know why you decided on this torturous road?



[By the way, if any of you are unsure how to post a blog or how to add pictures and whatnot, just let me know, I’ll walk you through it.]

2 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I am finishing what I started back in 1979. John Lennon said, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." And life happened, so I am back at 44 and a half with an expected June 2007 graduation for my RN.

Finally.
Hh

2/07/2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger Prisca: said...

I don't know "why" I am going into nursing anymore--just that I must. Wierd, huh?

8/18/2007 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home